Sunday, November 9, 2008

Fear Not Little Flock......

It has been a wild week with elections, the passing of Proposition 8 which banned gay marriage and the reaction of people to the passing of that amendment.

I wanted to share my thoughts about the reactions that have been reported. At first I was stunned but as I stepped back and thought about it, I realize that just as much I was hoping it would pass, there were many that hoped it would not. So many people donated their time and money for both sides of the issue.

My heart really hurts for those who have chosen a lifestyle that doesn't go hand in hand with the teachings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I say "chosen" because I truly believe it is a choice. I do believe that someone may be born with tendencies of being gay but I believe it is a choice to act upon those tendencies. Our time on earth is to prove ourselves worthy to return to our Father in Heaven. Part of that 'Proving' is how we handle the tests and trials we are given as well as what we do with the gifts that we are blessed with. Being born with tendencies to be gay is a test or trial. What you do with those tendencies is your 'proving'. It is the same with every test and trial.

I was in a meeting this morning with the leadership of our ward and our bishop made reference to what has been happening this week. He spoke of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints being singled out of all of those who were for Prop 8 passing. Why is it that so many other religious organizations, who stood on the same side of this issue, have not been targeted? Could it be that Satan knows who he must stop?

I want to remind everyone, and share with those who may have never read the Proclamation To The World from the LDS church, the second and fourth paragraphs....

"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose.

The first commandment that God gave to Adam and Eve pertained to their potential for parenthood as husband and wife. We declare that God's commandment for His children to multiply and replenish the earth remains in force. We further declare that God has commanded that the sacred powers of procreation are to be employed only between man and woman, lawfully wedded as husband and wife."

Please pray for those who are lost. Pray for those who need strength to overcome weaknesses. Pray for families.

Doctrine and Covenants 6:34 reads: "Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail."

3 comments:

Chris said...

My kids and I were all talking about it yesterday also. I didn't understand why our church was being singled out and I didn't understand why the catholic church didn't speak up louder also until now. But my kids said the same thing as you. It's because our church is true. It's Satan!! Thanks for this blog because it really put things in perspective.

Kayleen and Kay Sheppard said...

Amen to all you have said. And yes, the Church is being singled out because they were against the proposition being passed because the church donated $2,000,000.00 to fight against it. That's also why they are being singled out, and especially because Satan knows it. I believe if we are strong in our convictions for all our moral issues, we will be rocks and stick by our guns. Thanks for sharing, it was great.

Shana said...

Thanks for this blog post. It is soo true and exactly how Jake and I feel and have talked about a lot lately. It is too bad... All of this. It makes me sad. But it is true, our church is true!!!