Sunday, February 10, 2019

Ducklings, Dogs and Chicks



   Almost a year ago, after our traditional Saturday morning breakfast with friends, Kirk and I headed North on I-15 to  do the grocery shopping and run errands that we save to do together each weekend. It's one of my favorite days of the week! As we were nearing our exit an 18-wheeler whizzed past the driver's side passing us and pushing a duck into our path.  In the blink of an eye I saw feathers flying and ducklings scattering to the barricades on the right side of the freeway.  We looked at each other in shock and I said, "There were baby ducks!"  I didn't have to say more (that never stops me..).  Kirk exited the freeway, entered the freeway headed South to the exit we just started from, got back off the freeway and then back on again headed North.  I had a blanket in the back seat and we travelled in the farthest right lane watching for anything that may resemble ducklings.  We finally saw two and Kirk pulled over in front of them.  As soon as they saw us they turned around and started running in the other direction so Kirk quickly ran in front of them and started chasing them back towards me. They came close enough that I was able to throw this giant hot pink blanket over them, scoop them up and get back in the car all without anyone else losing their life!  We must have looked crazy to all of the motorist speeding by.  With adrenaline aplenty, we headed straight to IFA which, as luck would have it, was just off the next exit.

   Kirk went in to get the needed supplies to keep these little babies alive while I continued to hold them within the blanket.  It was so cold and I had not felt them move so I cautiously parted the folds of the blanket to make sure they had survived our rescue attempt.  Umm...wow! How amazing was that first real view of these helpless little creatures who were clearly enjoying the warmth of the blanket and the blasting heat from the car. Despite being recently orphaned, scared, tired and cold, they were alive and promises were made right then and there that I would do everything in my power to make it up to them.


   We got home and quickly got to work introducing the ducklings to the powers that be, AKA Buddy and Crazy.  The latter really didn't seem to care too much about the newest additions but Buddy was smitten.  He quickly became the self proclaimed protector and helicopter parent of the ducklings, watching over them whenever anyone tried touching or getting near them.  Some times he would lick his chops.  This made me a bit nervous.  Is he just waiting to eat them?



   Kirk had a beautiful set up for the ducklings with food and water and a heat lamp for the warmth they would need.  We watched them for almost three hours because what else do you do when you have ducklings? We tried to get them to eat or drink but they wouldn't, or couldn't or maybe they just didn't know how.  I suggested we go back to IFA and get a couple chicks who were freely eating and drinking at IFA without anyone showing them how.  Maybe they could teach the ducklings how to survive.

   We did just that.  When I saw the multitude of chicks in the big aluminum trough chirping away one thought struck me, "These are all bigger than our ducklings!" The 14-year old chick-professional guided us to the chicks that had just arrived and were less than 24 hours old.  They still seemed bigger than the ducklings but they would have to do.  I pointed to two different breeds, picking a Buff Orpington, now known as Parmesan, because she seemed calm in the chaos of the throngs of chicks, and an Ameracauna known simply as Chicken, just because she looked sassy.  My chick picking strategies were lacking at the time but things have turned out well!




   We headed back for home, introduced the new girls to the dogs and then to their new coop mates.  Parmesan immediately marched over to one of the ducks, looked it over and pecked it in the eye.  I guess she was just waiting for her moment to shine.  Within fifteen minutes the ducks and chicks were eating and drinking and bonding and cuddling.  I cannot express the relief I felt.  I imagine the ducklings were relieved too.  I am certain they grieved over the loss of their mother and siblings and while this wasn't plan A, it was an okay plan B.






   Tune in next time and watch Buddy babysit the growing brood!
 

1 comment:

Vsomer49 said...

Gina, you owe softie. I don't know if you remember me. I used to come to the center 4/5 years ago. You though are unforgettable. When I saw your name zI thought there can only be one Gina. When I CV licked your name....Voila! There was that beautiful smile.
I now live in Vernal, I had to escape my family "caring" for me. I felt smothered. I need to get back to an intelligent medical community. The Doctors here who are worth their degrees still are not taking new patients.
Well I have grumbled on too long tv. Happy days Queenie and Remember that you are loved.