Monday, December 8, 2014

My Old Friend

*Written in October 2014

I am laying on my bed surrounded by three of the most adorable fur-balls ever. Jazz, my very own senior dog (18 years and counting); Crazy a.k.a. The Vicious Licker and Buddy the Couch Critic. How did I get to be so lucky to share my life with them?

Each of them has their own unique personality and special quirks that make them even more loveable. Crazy will not eat a potato chip unless you dip it. Buddy is the sweetest, kindest dog unless he is behind a fence and you happen by our house.

And Jazz. My little circus dog who has lived beyond the last three Christmases even though odds were against her. She has been called a great many things; Jazz, Jasmine, Jazzy Girl, Skinny, Eeyore and Princess. She was chosen as the puppy we would keep from our dear Sadie's last litter before she was even born. Bryn asked if we could keep the runt and lucky for us it was Jazz.

She was supposed to be ours. No doubts about that. She quickly melted our hearts with her perfect puppy eyes and prance-y walk. She still prances around during bursts of happiness. It is during those moments that you would never believe she is 126 in human years.


















Most recently she has taken on the name "Old Friend". She greets me with the giddiness of a child being reunited with their mother after being "lost" at the grocery store. Her favorite place to be is, and always has been, wherever I am. She insists on having a meal promptly at 4:00 PM and any delays in that will be brought to your attention. She loves food, cuddles, sleeping under the covers, going on walks and treats.

Jazz is as much my child as the two I gave birth to. How does one feel this way about an animal? It is easier than you think. I watched her come into this world, bathed her, fed her, cleaned up her messes, potty trained her, held her, cleaned up some more. We have played, camped, cuddled and cuddled some more. I am not sure who enjoys the cuddles more, me or her.

****December 8, 2014
Kirk and I just returned from the garden where we have laid our old friend to rest. After several days of great discomfort we knew it was time to let her be at peace. I can picture her frolicking with Sadie and enjoying every minute of her reunion. How blessed we feel to have been the recipients of such unending love from this little gift. Jazzy Girl....we love you and can't wait to see you again.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:N 300 E,Mapleton,United States

2 comments:

Julie Benson said...

I'm so sorry you guys! What an awful thing!!! Even though you know they have to go, it's a shame we have to outlive them. Sweet little Jazzy!

Dani said...

Love you!