Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Great-Grandmother, Katherine Madaline Magnino Aimonetti Bertino


I have spent a good portion of the day re-typing the memorial services of my Great-Grandmother, Katherine Madeline Magnino Aimonetti Bertino. What an incredible woman!

As I read through the wonderful stories that were shared about her I found that there were so many things that I didn't really know about her. She passed away when I was 10. My most vivid memories of her are when she was staying with my grandmother after she had suffered a stroke. She couldn't speak and needed assistance with almost everything, but the love that exuded from this remarkable woman was unmistakable. I took it upon myself to help her learn to write her name again. I recall putting the pencil in her hand and trying to get her to hold it the "proper" way. I placed the notepad under the pencil and helped guide her hand to form a letter 'K'. Progress! She then threw the pencil at me and waved me off! I guess she didn't really want to participate in my self-appointed service.

As I am thinking of her now, I can only smile! I have this wonderful picture of her that my grandmother left to me. Nonna would tell me all of the time how much I looked like Katie Bertino. In my youth, I would look at the photo and think..."I don't think I look like her at all! She didn't even smile for the picture!" In my older, and wiser, years I have decided that there was a lot going on in her young life at the time of that picture. She was 19! She lived in Sparone, Italy. She worked on a farm with her family and she was waiting for her sweetheart, who was in America, to send for her. There may not have been a lot to smile about! And of course, in that period of time, smiling wasn't always encouraged in a picture.

I would love to hear anyone's memories of Katie Bertino. Please share them and help all of her posterity know more about her.

4 comments:

Mackenzie said...

It is so neat to find your blog, although we have never met. I am Lynnette's daughter (Azalia Rose's granddaughter) It is such a shame that we as a family haven't had the opportunity to know each other. I hope that will change.

I never knew my great grandmother, but it is interesting that my grandmother says that I have many of her traits. I look forward to the day when I can meet her.

Kaci said...

I can see the resemblance! How fun is it to get to go through old stuff like that? I love those kind of things! It was fun to read about. Sounds like she had a little bit of an Italian temper! (A trait I am sure you didn't inherit)

Shana said...

That is neat Gina!! What a beautiful woman!

Dani said...

I've seen the picture in person, many, many times -- And never thought resemblence - Maybe?! Your much prettier.