Friday, December 5, 2008

What Is Your Perfect Christmas?

December is one of the most magical times of the year! I always look forward to it but, when it gets here I start to have a little anxiety. There is so much to do and cook and buy and wrap. Lists to make and cross off. Cards to send. Before you know it, Christmas is nowhere in sight.

I found myself wrapping presents the other day and because of the items the kids have asked for, there were not a lot of presents there. I spoke to Kirk about it and we decided that we have actually “trained” ourselves that there should be this crazy amount of gifts under the tree for Christmas morning. After that little revelation I realized that it was a problem that I created and I was the one who could change it.

The first thing I had to change was my perception of Christmas. I can’t tell you how many times in the last 22 years I have tried to bring my family to understand the TRUE meaning of Christmas while still participating in the worldly frenzy of Christmas. Some things worked. Others didn’t. But I will not give up trying! After all, if I forget to send someone a card or a gift, they will still know that I care, right? If I don’t make 4,000 cookies and deliver them, in the month of December, from here to Texas, will my friends and loved ones disown me?

My perfect Christmas?

1. Let me read through Luke a time or two and really ponder the words and lessons there. I love the beautiful way that Luke portrays the events of the life of our Savior.

2. Let me do all that I can to help those in need. I am so blessed and feel even more blessed when I can help others.

3. Let me gather my family in and tell them how much I love them.

4. Let me be so grateful for the blessing that I receive not only during this sacred season, but all year through.

This is my hope and prayer for me and for you and your family. Don’t get lost in the wrapping paper, the best gifts don’t need to be wrapped.


6 comments:

Dani said...

Good post Mom, But giving presents is sooo fun!

Chris said...

I've had the same feelings too Gena. The things the adults want are so expensive so by the time you buy that it's taken up your budget for them. But I also like to have more presents to open. Yes, it's gotten out of control that's for sure. Merry Christmas!! And i'll forgive you if I don't get your card. I don't know if' i'm even sending any this year..lol Love ya

Shana said...

Gena,
I totally agree!!! I feel the exact same way. It isn't at all about the presents... it is about our savior and loved ones in our life. I wish that one year we could just forget ALL about the gifts and focus on the real meaning of Christmas!! ALthough giving is so much fun and I LOVE doing it. Sometimes it is nice to just be simple! :)

Chris said...

Also...your little thing on the side of your blog that tells when people updated their blogs must not be working..check it out. People are updating their blog.

Gena Bertelsen said...

Once people go private, it won't show when they update. Don't worry! I am always checking on you guys!

Kayleen and Kay Sheppard said...

I only wonder how it would be if we turned to our children and grand-children and said, this year we are only getting one gift; that would be the gift of the Lord Jesus and the huge "gift" he gave us when he suffered on the cross for our sins. I know Christmas is wonderful to see the kid's faces when them come out to see Santa, but so much about Christmas has changed so much, I worry about the next and next generations holding to the above thought at Christmastime.