Saturday, August 30, 2008

Following the Spirit








At BYU Education Week I attended a class called “And I Was Led by the Spirit” by Steven T. Linford, an Institute instructor for BYU. Every time I left this class I was disappointed. Not with the content, but with the fact that it was over. He was so inspiring and knowledgeable and really made me want to immerse myself in the scriptures.

Brother Linford shared a story about President Marion G. Romney. President Romney was worried about his wife’s hearing and spoke with his doctor about it. The doctor instructed President Romney to try a little test when he got home. Sister Romney was doing the dishes in the kitchen and President Romney went into a bedroom and called out her name saying, “Elizabeth, can you hear me?”. There was no reply. He walked closer to the kitchen and said, “Elizabeth, can you hear me?”. Again, no answer. He stepped into the kitchen and standing behind her said, “Elizabeth, can you hear me?”. Elizabeth responded, “For the third time Marion, I can hear you!” I loved this story and as I compared it to receiving revelation, I wondered how often Heavenly Father has been standing near me and asking if I could hear him.

Several years ago I served as the Director of the Springville Family Literacy Centers. I opened the first center in 1996 and within a few years had opened 5 satellite centers in schools throughout Springville. The goal was to help anyone age 5 to 105 improve their reading skills. During this exciting time I was privileged to meet a wonderful array of inspiring people in our community who believed in the importance of reading. One of those people was Dr. Vernon Tipton, a Zoology Professor at BYU who had a deep love for reading. We formed a quick friendship and I looked to him as a type of a mentor. I could call on him for support of any kind. He could answer any question I had with great insight and would guide me in the direction that would help the Literacy Center grow. I truly admired this man as someone who was devoted to the bettering of life for all that he knew.

On a beautiful day in November of 2001 I felt inspired to call Vernon and see how he was. I knew he had been ill and had not spoken with him for some months. As quickly as the thought came into my mind, it flitted carelessly away, not to be thought of again. A few days later, I learned that Vernon had passed away. He died on the day that I had been prompted to call him.

I have shed tears over that day. I have had the proverbially “internal argument” with myself. Why didn’t I follow that prompting? It would have been such an easy thing to do. While I may have not been able to visit with Vernon, I could have been there to help comfort his wife and family. Why didn’t I listen?

One would never accuse me of being a slow learner. I learned a very valuable lesson that day, always follow through on a prompting. Immediately. In Joshua 24:15 we read, “…choose you this day whom ye will serve; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” When we choose to follow a prompting, we are serving the Lord.

Since learning that powerful lesson, I have chosen to follow every prompting. I have found myself randomly calling neighbors and friends just to tell them I was thinking about them. I have stopped by acquaintances homes for no reason other than to share a smile. I have taken the time to visit with an elderly person in the store that seemed to be there just for the socialization. Some would call me crazy….I have heard that before! But, I know that I am following the promptings of the Spirit. I have listened and have acted upon what I have heard.

I would like to challenge everyone to really listen to what the Spirit is saying to you and to act upon that. I know you will be blessed for your efforts.

1 comment:

Chris said...

You're such a good example to me as is Shana. She is so good at listening to promptings. I admire that quality. I wonder if your prompting to come have lunch with me the other day was for some unknown reason..lol. Hope it's not a bad one. I sure enjoyed our visit and thanks again for the lunch. I look forward to them so much. Next time the lunch is on ME!! Love you!!