Sunday, September 14, 2014

Macaroni and Cheese Promptings

Today is Sunday.
My favorite day of the week.

Why is it my favorite day of the week? Well, it's a day of rest. An actual day that a good amount of people in the world believe we should "rest from our labors". A day that is different that the other six, stress-filled, I-can't-wait-to-get-home days of the week. For me that means, I don't need to face crowds at the store. I am not expected to drop everything and take care of a crisis at work. I don't need to participate in the hustle and bustle of the typical Monday through Friday craziness. It is a day to rest my weary brain and tired body in one way and a day to draw my focus to the most important things in my life; my family, my Heavenly Father, those dear friends of mine and even to me.

For someone else, it may mean something totally different.



For years my girls have boasted that I make the best homemade macaroni and cheese around. I, like many of their friends, believed them. I could be coaxed into boiling water, melting butter and grating cheese with the mere mention of my abilities in making this life changing dish. Friends would come from far (south of Center Street in Springville) and wide (Cedar Hills) just to partake of this amazing concoction.

One day, after stirring in the last bit of cheese, dishing up the bowls and sitting down to enjoy my macaroni and cheese, I wondered out loud, "Why do we like this?" The look of utter shock was on their faces! Bryn quickly said, "What? Because it's cheesy and creamy and... Why would you ask that?"

There are not a lot of times I can think of in my life that I wanted to dig deeper than the surface of a situation. I am a 'roll with it' kind of gal and it has served me well. But, at that moment, something in me wanted to know more. Why did we like it? Was it the way it felt on our tongue? The salty, creamy comfort of the melted cheese? Did we like it just because we have liked it for a long time or because there was something about it that made our life better, something to look forward to.

I just finished a bowl of my world famous dish (it was wonderful) and caught myself thinking about that day a few years ago when I asked the question, why? At the time I almost felt guilty for asking. How could anyone question such a precious tradition? Maybe it's just my age, (which of course brings much more wisdom) but lately I find myself asking 'Why?' even more. To have a sure knowledge of my interests, my dreams and purpose. My macaroni and cheese seems to be prompting me to dig a little deeper.

So.....here goes....

Sunday is my favorite day of the week. It helps me feel rejuvenated and ready to meet Monday head on. I love seeing my adorable primary kids and hearing about the best part of their week and trying to plant a seed of my testimony somewhere inside them. I love planning a family dinner and laughing and talking together with those that I love so much. I even love football with my man! I look forward to solitude and thoughtfulness. I look forward to a nap and a good book and reminiscing about those who are gone. I love long rides in the canyon, sitting on the patio and even listening the the clock tick tock in the quiet living room.

I love Sundays.

For those who would like to make the worlds best macaroni and cheese, i share my top secret recipe:

1.5 lbs. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained

Sauce:
1 cube butter
1/2 C. Flour
2 C. Milk
2 C. Diced sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 C. Grated pecorino romano cheese

While macaroni is cooking, melt butter in saucepan, stirring constantly over medium heat. Let butter brown or caramelize slightly. Whisk in flour and continue to stir as you slowly add milk. Lower heat and let simmer. Add cheeses and continue to stir. Drain noodles when they are done and place back in pot. Pour cheese sauce over noodles and stir to combine. Let macaroni cool for five minutes before serving. Garnish with red pepper flakes if desired.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: